Thursday, January 20, 2011

On Scripting

Mornings at our house are frenetic at best. I try to maintain a strict routine. Follow a script, so to speak. On a typical week day I have six kids to get out the door by 7:40. There isn't a lot of time for matching socks,  and my idea of covering the four food groups involves lining everyone up and dropping vitamins down their throats like baby birds. Also, the school provides me with more homework than the kids. There are always agendas to sign, books to find, play dough to be made, last minute cupcakes to be frosted. And frankly, I'm this close to putting a blank cheque book in Thane's backpack so he can write the school a cheque for whatever I have to pay for that day. Pizza orders, milk orders, book orders. Chris doesn't take half the orders I do every morning, and he's in the military!

So, when poignant moments happen before 9AM they are rarely acknowledged at our house. But today was the exception to the rule. I was changing a diaper. Ava was trying to explain to me that red plaid tights really do match coral floral dresses. Ski pants were everywhere, mittens were flying around like hand grenades. And there it was. A hug. I don't know the reason behind it. I couldn't tell you the last time I'd seen it happen. But two brothers, separated by three years, and totally different personalities, hugged. It certainly didn't last a minute. Maybe 15 seconds. It was quick and perfect and everything I want for them.

For better or worse, I'm prone to scripting. I plan the scene in my head and expect the players to follow my lines and choreography. In my mind I've scripted my kids loving each other enough to be best friends. To hang out as adults. To stand at each other's weddings, and help each other move (the ultimate show of support). They don't always follow the script. Little brother is a pain in the rear copy-cat. Little sister is an alien from a distant pink planet. But today, for some reason, two of them nailed their parts. They followed the script. And if I hadn't been up to my elbows in poop I would have given them a standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment